||Professor Dr. Md. Sekul Islam
|Date of Birth
| Father’s name
| Permanent Address
| Present address
| Marital status
|| Degree Awared
||Field of study
|Institute of Human Nutrition and Food, University of the Philippines at Los Banos, The Philippines||PhD||Human Nutrition (Food and Nutrient Demand parameters of rural Bangladeshi)||2003|
|Institute of Human Nutrition and Food, University of the Philippines at Los Banos, The Philippines||Masters of Professional Studies (MPS-FNP)||Food and Nutrition Planning||1999|
|Department of Statistics, University of Dhaka.||M.Sc||Statistics||1982 (held in 1985)|
|Department of Statistics, University of Dhaka.||B.Sc. (Hons.)||Human Nutrition (Food and Nutrient Demand parameters of rural Bangladeshi)||1981 (held in 1984)|
Teaching experiences: Running 29 years teaching experience at the Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka, and taking courses in BSc (Honours), MSc. MPhil and PhD in nutrition. Major courses of teaching are biostatistics, epidemiology; nutrition planning, community nutrition, nutrition problems, ecological aspects of food and nutrition and development economics.
Field of specialization: Food and Nutrient Consumption, Community Nutrition, Nutrition Planning.
- Food Consumption: Analysis of food consumption data at community, household and individual levels.
- Demand Analysis: Analysis of food consumption and the effect of various extraneous factors on the consumption of food and nutrients and behaviour of the consumer.
- Nutrition Status: Analysis of nutrition status (anthropometry data) of individuals and its relation with consumption and other socio-demographic factors.
- Nutrition: Analysis of macronutrients and micronutrients in humans with the help of food consumption, anthropometry and socio-demographic data.
Research publication: A total of twenty five research articles have been published in National and International Journals, some article are in the process of publication..
- Food Balance Sheet at Micro Level, edited by Ali SMK, Rahim A, Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka and Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council, 1989.
- Report for Women Co-operators of Bangladesh Rural development Board, Institute of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Dhaka; sponsored by BRDB, 1995.
Involvement in research projects
- Principal Investigator: Interrelationship of sanitary practices with under nutrition and anemia in poor urban communities, financed by Bangladesh national Nutrition Council (BNNC), 1993.1. Principal Investigator: Interrelationship of sanitary practices with under nutrition and anemia in poor urban communities, financed by Bangladesh national Nutrition Council (BNNC), 1993.
- Co-Investigator: Effect of colostrum composition on infant mortality, financed by BBF (Bangladesh Breast Feeding Foundation), 1998-2000, successfully completed, and final report submitted and accepted by the Foundation.
- Principal Investigator: Nutrition, health and lifestyle profile of sex worker’s, disabled and prisoner’s children of Bangladesh, financed by the Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology, 2004-2005.
- Contributed as consultant in research titled “Estimation of dietary energy requirements for setting nutritional standards of Bangladeshi” which was conducted by Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS) in association with Maxwell Stamp Limited (MSL). The research was financed by United Nations World Food Program (WFP). My responsibility was to work with BIDS from sample design to data collection analysis and report writing as consultant of MSL. The duration of the research project was six month and the final report was submitted on January 12, 2008.
- Providing nutrition education among the school adolescent girls under Gazipur District in collaboration with Nestle Bangladesh Limited since 2010. It is a on going project of Nestle Bangladesh Limited. The second year training program is now going on.
- Worked as a nutrition expert consultant of European Union in the formulation of Food Security Program 2012 Bangladesh. The final report is submitted in March 2012. The project will be implemented from July 2012.
- Nutrition Health and Demographic Survey of Banglades-2012. It’s a nationwide survey which will reveal the current nutrition health and demographic situation in Bangladesh. This survey involved full one year data collection which has started in 26 March 2011 and ended in March 2012. The report has been published in print and PDF form in the Dhaka University wave site.
- At present working as Vice Chancellor (C.C.) of the Atish Dipankar University of Science and Technology (ADUST) by taking lien from the University of Dhaka.
- Served as the Vice Chancellor (C.C.) and Pro-Vice Vice Chancellor of the Z. H. Sikder University of Science and Technology (ZHSUST) during the period 2012 and 2013.
- Elected member of the Board of Governors of the Institute of Nutrition & Food Science, University of Dhaka during 1992-94; and expert member in the teacher selection board (Syndicate expert nominee); Elected Associate General Secretary of Bangladesh Nutrition Society for two consecutive periods; Member, International Student’s Association, University of Philippines at Los Banos, The Philippines, during PhD studies in The Philippines.